The history of the districts, and specifically the Talented Tenth District, represents the evolution of two organizational concepts now embodied in the present-day functions of the District Representative and various District Meetings. The first District Representatives were appointed by the Grand Basileus who was authorized by a constitutional amendment in 1922. The District Representatives were delegated the function of assisting the Grand Chapter in the supervision of chapters within a geographical area known as a District.
Districts were seemingly organized on the basis of states contiguous to each other, with consideration given to some of the amenities resulting from compatible regional and social relationships. The present district organization of twelve units reflects this logical development.
Besides supervising established chapters, the District Representative was expected to develop and expand the jurisdiction of Omega to all college campuses within the area. During the early days in Illinois, Indiana and Michigan the principal individual contacts between the Grand Chapter and local chapters or between chapters within the District were made by the District Representatives. With little, if any, funds from either the Grand Chapter or the loosely controlled District units, visitations depended largely upon both the dedication and affluence of the District Representatives.
The first step to strengthen the position of the District Representatives occurred during the administration of the 16th Grand Basileus, Albert W. Dent (1937-1939). District Representatives then became constitutional officers and were to be elected by the Districts at the annual meetings. Moreover, all initiations were placed under the supervision of the District Representatives.